- Mr. V.P. Nandakumar, MD & CEO, was among the 16 finalists at the prestigious Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Awards 2017, held in Mumbai on February 15, 2018.
- Awarded Jury’s Special Commendation at the Golden Peacock Awards for CSR. Acquired the Chennai based MFI, Asirvad Microfinance Pvt. Ltd. in February.
- Diversified into new business areas such as Home Loans and Commercial Vehicle finance. Launched online gold loan (OGL) in September/ October becoming the first in the Industry to do so.
- Celebrated 20 years of listing on the Bombay Stock Exchange with ceremonial ringing of the closing bell by Mr. V.P. Nandakumar and Mrs. Sushama Nandakumar (joint promoters) at the BSE on November 6.
- AUM crosses Rs.10,000 crore.
- Branch Network reaches 2,908, with more than 850 branches added in FY 2012 alone.
- Declared 1:1 bonus issue for second time. Total business volumes crossed Rs.5,000 crore
- Raised capital of Rs.245 crore through the QIP route. In November, raised additional capital of Rs.1,000 crore from FIIs through its 2nd QIP, to this day, the largest single foreign investment in US$ terms in any company in Kerala.
- Opens its 1001st Branch at Thrissur town
- Superstars Mohanlal, Vikram, Venkatesh, Puneeth Rajkumar and Akshay Kumar among others becomes Manappuram’s brand ambassadors.
- Manappuram Foundation established at Valapad in order to further the CSR mission of the Manappuram Group. The first initiative of the Foundation is “Janaraksha Manappuram Soujanya Arogya Insurance Scheme” providing free health insurance to 20,000 BPL families (covering over one lakh beneficiaries) in the seven panchayats of Nattika assembly constituency.
- Total business volumes of MAFIL cross the Rs.1,000 crore milestone
- First NBFC in Kerala to receive foreign institutional investment with Sequoia Capital and Hudson Equity Holdings investing Rs.70 crore.
- Becomes first NBFC from Kerala to issue bonus shares in the ratio of 1:1
- Singapore government-owned investment fund Fullerton India/Temasek enters the picture with initial sanction of a credit limit of Rs.50 crore to MFL. Within a year, the limits are enhanced to Rs.475 crore.
- Becomes the first NBFC in Kerala to be given a Certificate of Registration by the RBI.
- A major policy change sees the company shift its focus to gold loans.
- First NBFC in Kerala permitted by the RBI to accept deposits from the public without restrictions on the limit. The Company is also permitted to set its own interest rates.
- First NBFC from Kerala to go for a credit rating exercise. ICRA assigns rating of MA to its fixed deposit programme.
- Approaches the capital market with its first Public Issue of shares for Rs.1.75 crore. The shares are listed on the Bombay, Madras and Cochin stock exchanges.
- Manappuram Finance Limited (MFL) was incorporated with registered office at Thrissur to conduct the business of financial services, especially leasing and hire purchase.
- Shri V.C. Padmanabhan passes away on June 13, 1986. His son Shri V.P. Nandakumar, then placed as an officer with Nedungadi Bank, takes over the reins of the business.
- Shri V.C. Padmanabhan, a visionary of his time, establishes Manappuram Finance at Valapad, a coastal village 25 kilometres away from Thrissur town. The main activity of the firm is money lending and gold loans. Over the years, the business flourishes and it acquires a reputation as a safe haven for the savings of the local people, offering good returns and total safety.